New Yorker article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yorker article

In the May 20, 2013 issue of the New Yorker magazine, there is an article about a nursing home in Arizona, called Beatitudes, focused on caring for people with Alzheimers and other forms of dementia. From some paragraphs in the article describing training programs for the institution's staff:

In the most radical experiment, the staff wore adult diapers. "That was kind of life-changing for everyone involved," Alonzo told me. "We all recognized just how uncomfortable it was to sit in a wet brief. Some of our front-line staff, who really wanted to know how that felt, did not change them for a couple of hours."

Not a very sexy description, but I thought this would interst people on this forum.

-- AT

Hopefully the nursing facility bought better diapers after that point. With quality products a few minutes after wetting you feel dry again.

Comment

I bet they used some low-quality adult diaper like Depends, and that's why it was uncomfortable.

Comment

The article itself

is worth reading. Beatitudes is using cutting edge techniques to make life for patients with dementia better. And the outcome of the training was less enforced diaper use on the patients -- it's one thing for those of us who enjoy being diapered but can choose when to change ourselves; it's another for those who are forced into them by an institution.

-- AT

Comment

couple of hours?

that doesnt seem like a hell of a long time. especially in a comfortable disposable.

harden up.

Comment

Working...
          X